Thursday, October 30, 2014

Vintage Pocketed Doily Wall Hanging

I love doilies, both old and new!

Chances are, if you're like me, you hate cutting into them even when there are visible signs of aging on vintage doilies, but when you can transform them into something pretty and practical, then it doesn't seem so difficult.

Though I didn't actually cut this rectangle doily, I did fold it over to make a pocket, backed it with a couple of different layers, the first a sparkly tulle, the second a piece of cotton that I cut to size.


 Adorning my wall hanging was easy with the beautiful vintage bits and pieces that came in my Zeus and Zoe Design Team package. Tiny snippets of trim, crocheted, tatted or fabric lace that are entirely too precious to discard!


 Beautiful buttons and a tiny strand of pearls were a natural choice to compliment the different appliques and trims that accentuate the pocket, while a climbing vine of light pink leaves on either side add a subtle note of interest this hand-sewn treasure.


A dowel hanger edged with an organza-and-pearl rosette trim was the perfect topper to the snippet of blue trim with triple rose appliques, and the hand-made ribbon roses with pearl centers add a pop of color at each of the top corners.

What a  perfect piece to showcase some vintage postcards!

I hope you enjoy....


No comments: